Monday 14 July 2008

What Recovery Means To Me - Brian White

Last summer Wired In went to a drugs project in Swansea to do some filming with their clients. At the end of the day, just as we were packing up, we got chatting to a guy named Brian White. Not long into the chat I realised that Brian had a very powerful story to tell. The camera got switched on and an impromptu conversation was filmed!

Whenever Wired In does filming we always try our hardest to find those who were involved to show them their edited footage. Normally this is a relatively easy task. But not with Brian! I spent over six months trying to track down Brian – asking at local homeless hostels, drug agencies and even every Big Issue seller I came across! Brian’s film work had really impacted upon me –the footage was very raw and emotional. To be honest, I was quite worried about what had happened to Brian due to the chaotic nature of his life at the time.

Then, at the start of 2008, I bumped into Brian on a treatment program in Cardiff. But, I barely recognised him. Not only was he looking much healthier, there seemed to be a peacefulness about him. He seemed very comfortable with himself. Watching through his footage together was quite emotional for us both! Brian had come so far, and I think the footage helped him to realise exactly how much he had changed.

Since that day we have worked very closely with Brian and it has been an absolute pleasure to see the many changes in him. Brian wanted to share his views on ‘What Recovery Means To Me’ although he did reiterate that to him recovery is quite simple – he now has a life.

Last week we also did some filming with Brian – almost an update on his life and how things have changed. I’m sure you too will see the differences in Brian between the filmed series ‘Life as a Heroin Addict’, and his recent work, ‘Reflection of my journey into recovery’.

No comments: