Monday 5 May 2008

Cannabis: From Gordon Brown to James Langton

Well my piece on cannabis yesterday prompted a little discussion over bank holiday. I still stand by what I say, that you are not going to reduce the harm that cannabis causes by changing the law.

When will politicians like Gordon  Brown learn that? But I guess this is not about the harm the drug causes. It is political. And sadly there will be a fallout, which will be some young people ending up becoming criminalised unnecessarily. Come on PM, there are far more important drug and alcohol issues to get your head around than Class B or C.
Now I happen to be reading an excellent book on cannabis by James Langton, "No Need for Weed: Understanding and Breaking Cannabis Dependency". This is very well-written and takes such a level-headed approach, no moralising, straight down-the-line. The author points out that these are his views and the views of people he knows who have had problems. He does not force himself on anyone - take note, Gordon! 
I like the intro, " [the book] is designed to let you consider your relationship with cannabis openly and honestly." This book is for those who experience problems with cannabis - and there are no doubt many, as there are those who don't - and the book looks very helpful. I will be returning to it and James Langton's website on cannabis dependency shortly. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I still stand by what I say, that you are not going to reduce the harm that cannabis causes by changing the law."

I agree. Id go further than this and say that increasing punishments also increases the polarity of people's opinions.

Engagement with cannabis users is absolutely essential in getting messages across about specific risks. I predict a barage of posts today on cannabis forums saying the risk are all lies. Talk pragmatically and this does not happen. Most users want to use it as safely as possible and don’t in any case support children’s use.

Moving to B will be a big blow for harm reduction.

Helen Sello
Cannabis HM